Eating the Right Foods
When putting on braces, Dr. Logeman uses a special adhesive strong enough to keep them attached to your teeth, but they are not indestructible. You need to choose the right foods to eat when wearing braces and other appliances.
Look for softer foods if your teeth feel tender or sore. These foods are easy to chew. Stay away from sticky, hard or chewy foods, as they can damage your braces or appliances. Also, try to minimize sugary foods as they can cause cavities.
These are some of the foods you should avoid during your active treatment time:
- Taffy and caramels
- Jolly Ranchers, candy bars, and other hard candies
- Hard chips
- Carrots, Apples, Pear, etc should be cut into small pieces
- Popcorn & Nuts
- Meat should not be chewed off the bone – it should be cut off
- Corn on the cob should be sliced off
- Pizza, crust, bagels, and any other hard breads should be broken into bite-size pieces
Avoid chewing inedible objects and keep pens, pencils, and fingernails away from mouth.